Tuesday, July 20, 2004

baby beardie: day 1

well the little guy [or girl] has had an interesting day. 

the first thing the little guy did yesterday was take a long soak in his water dish.  I was thinking maybe he thought he was a water dragon.  so this morning, I gave him a little dip just to keep him hydrated.

fresh crickets were delivered this morning...they are 2 weeks, which are a bit larger than I feel comfortable feeding him, but I'm getting a new shipment of 5 days tomorrow, so I need to find someone who wants 200 small crickets [I've heard there is another lizard owner in my building].

but I fed them to him anyway, and he ate a few.  I've discovered that the paper towel substrate provides good cover for them and my baby can't see them.  but somehow he managed to eat a few.

the little guy doesn't seem to like being watched while he eats...but I'm sure it's just because he is getting used to his new environment.

the most interesting thing today is that the little guy has started working out for the Olympic high jump.  it's the funniest thing, but it scares the hell out of me.  his afternoon routine which has been going constantly since 1pm is to climb his tree, bask around a bit, and then JUMP onto the thermometer which is stuck on the inside of the tank at the top.  he tries to hang on as long as he can and then drop to the floor (which is 13").  every time he tries, he hits the glass with a big THUD.  the noise makes me jump out of my seat.  then I get worried he's going to break a leg. 

but I'm relieved that he is active and a jumper.  this is a good sign he is healthy and enjoying himself.  I'm trying to think of a better jumping spot than the thermometer.  maybe I can suspend something from the screen?  I think I might need a jungle gym with good leaping distances.

he'll be going to bed soon, and maybe I'll actually get some work done.  the little guy can be such a fun distraction!   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home