Wednesday, October 22, 2003

1L searching for summer associate position...

I went to a 'networking seminar' today...lots of firms, not all of which showed up, however.

it was nicer than the networking seminars at Boalt Hall. It was in our air-conditioned student lounge (as opposed to he hallway in front of the libarary as at Boalt) and the catering was actually good (not just wine and cheese).

I got a chance to ask around about tax jobs. Looks like there isn't much out there because of the 'downturn in the economy.' apparently, there isn't much work in international tax or m&a's right now.

but, I would think that there would be more aggressive tax assessments coming out of the IRS and the states, especially because revenue production is at an all-time low. So, there at least may be some work out there for tax litigation practice.

I was able to pass of a couple of resumes (even though it is a month early for a 1L to be doing so). I'm trying to get my name out there, just in case there is a firm out there willing to hire a 1L who actually has some experience.

It wasn't easy to pitch myself in front of my classmates though. For instance, I was speaking with one firm rep and was asking him specifically about what their tax group was involved in. He began his pitch to a small group of us about litigating against IRS assessments, etc. So I ask him, "would you, perhaps, be interested in someone with 10 years experience at Franchise Tax Board?" To which he replies, "WOW! 10 years at FTB, if you have a resume I'd be happy to pass it on."

bingo! had one ready to go. the only problem is that there were three classmates of mine standing there, all of which immediately turned and ran.

another strike in the 'getting friendly with your classmates' column.

oh well. we all have our strengths and weaknesses. Its not like I'm going to hide the fact that I have some marketable experience...who would? I'm trying to get a job here.

anyway, it will probably work to my advantage on the professional front, but to my disadvantage on the social front...I guess you take the good with the bad.

I've got a ton of work to do for tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to golfing tomorrow evening with the tax law society. Now here is a bunch of folks I really like, and who I get along with. I guess we are a 'different breed'.

I haven't golfed in years, and I'm going to be borrowing clubs. only 9 holes though. the problem: it takes me 9 holes just to warm up! but its a short course (only two par 4's), so if my driving isn't up to par, I won't be too bad off.

golf is a great game, as long as you don't take it seriously. Its a hoot to spend a day walking around hitting a little white ball around a park. I don't have a handicap, and I don't really care whether I make par, so I have a great time (though I usually do make par).

the only thing I don't like is water traps. its just lame to lose your ball. its the only thing that makes me upset on the course. especially if I have bought nice balls.

I suppose some day I will have to take the game seriously, but perhaps it is a good quality to not care about losing, especially if entertaining a client who is hung up on winning.

My only rule: I do not play with anyone who throws clubs. If you are a club-thrower, you have some serious issues and need some therapy.

On the subject of club-throwing: if the fact that club-throwing is simply bad etiquette isn't enough...a few years ago there was this unfortunate fellow who had a penchant for throwing his clubs. he hit a bad shot, threw his club, it hit a bench, snapped in half, and bounced back, piercing him in the heart.

the guy died because he hit a bad shot!

that is just lame. but I will never forget reading the story, I even clipped it from the paper to show to anyone who has those tendencies. golf is not supposed to be a deadly sport.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home