Friday, November 14, 2003

A cure for Type I diabetes??

Diabetes is potentially 'reversible'

Scientists have injected mice with Type I diabetes with pancreatic cells from normal healthy mice...and it works!

this is great news for my diabetic friends out there.

but for my parents with Type II, which often comes with age, I wonder if such a treatment would be effective?

it seems that if it works for Type I, it should work for Type II. I'm not by any means qualified to make such an assumption, but in my thinking, if the injected pancreatic cells can "jump start" insulin production in a pacrease that cannot normally do not produce insulin (Type I), it ought to do the same for the aging pancreas which just "forgot how" to produce insulin. Sort of a "reminder" treatment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home