Saturday, April 24, 2004

Paul Newman-- "don't drink in my name"...

it seems that students at Princeton celebrate Paul Newman day by trying to drink a beer an hour for 24 hours. they have to drink through their classes, too. Paul is outraged.

it is probably a dumb stunt to begin with. but a beer an hour...hmmm...may not qualify as "binge drinking" in terms of the time/beer ratio on an hourly basis, yet it may in terms of the overall time/beer ratio. much depends on one's alcohol tolerance.

personally, I would love to be able to drink 24 guinness in a day, but I know that I can't, so I would never try.

if these kids want to remember Paul Newman, perhaps they could remember Cool Hand Luke -- where Newman was sentenced to 2 years on a chain gang for being drunk in public (and cutting the heads off parking meters "cause it was something to do"). He paid a pretty big penalty for his drinking -- not just the hard labor, but his life.

I think this is probably more about the quote than about Newman personally, but I can see why he would be a little upset. But there isn't much that he can do -- this is the university's problem. if the university is willing to allow students to come to class with beer, then there is really no stopping them from doing it anyway, even if they don't use Newman's name officially.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home