Thursday, July 29, 2004

the wonders of the activeUV bulb...

okay.  so I bought what is probably the most expensive light bulb out there, but already two days in, I'm convinced it was the best investment ever.

Caspi immediately responded to the added light, began running around, eating more, being in a much better mood.  After only two days, I can see some color coming out.  its almost yellow, but more like tanish green. 

I'm not too worried about the heat under the light.  it probably is waaay too hot (115 degrees) directly beneath the light, but I've positioned his basking site so he isn't directly beneath it.  all in all, I'm pleased.

I'm concerned now because I've been dusting the crix with reptocal and a tiny pinch of dragon dust--growth formula.  since he isn't up to eating an entire salad yet, I figured it was best to get it on the crix since he eats about 2 dozen a day.

today I hand fed cilantro, which has become a morning routine.  his lights come on at 6a, and I feed him around 8a.  first the cilantro, then put out the salad and later the crix.  today he had a special treat, a bit of rose petal.  he ate a small bite, but I'm not sure whether he liked it.  I think I'll try violets or hibiscus next.

I'm already trying to plan for the larger tank he will need in only a few months.  I think a 60 gallon is adequate.  I'll put the UVheat lamp on the basking side, and the florescent reptile bulb on the cool side.  I think I'll switch to grapevine because it is easy to move and clean, and I can rearrange it from time to time.  the tree has a lot of crevices which make good hiding spots for crix and make it really hard to clean (especially because of the coccidia and other direct cycle parasites that often are found in bearded dragons). 

the little guy is sleeping peacefully and has gotten used to my routine.  my tap-tap-tap on the computer at 10pm doesn't phase him.
  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home