Sunday, October 12, 2003

the summer associate job search...

although they tell me that it is too soon to begin the summer job search because 1Ls aren't allowed to interview until spring...

I never take no for an answer.

From what I understand, law firms can begin recruiting 1Ls as early as November, which means that I need to get started now!

I've revised my resume and have begun to search for firms which are likely to hire a 1L with 10 years experience in personal income tax appeals litigation (for the State of CA), and interested in practicing international law (M&A's).

The Office of Career Services won't even talk to me yet (another drag about being a 1L).

I've already submitted my resume at my first choice firm, and with luck they will pick me up because I am one step ahead of the game, but I wonder if this will work to my disadvantage.

I attended the government job fair at my school last week, which I must say was disappointing. There were more military recruiters than anyone else, and most of the other government attorneys did investigation work and had to carry concealed weapons.

I want to be a lawyer, not a cop. I don't want a job that requires me to arm myself.

anyway, I'm hoping to get some good advice from my mentor on interviewing. I've heard that OCI can be tough, and they can ask you bizaare questions in order to see how you think. I wish I had a clue what to expect.

I also need tips on buying a suit. I've seen everyone wearing 'basic black' but find it a bit boring. I don't want to do the 'legally blonde' thing and show up in hot pink, but I want to wear something that will distinguish me from the crowd. Maybe a pink blouse?

I wonder if it appropriate to wear a light grey suit...

And with regard to shoes: I am averse to that darn L.A. overly-pointy shoe fad, but wonder if I should splurge on a pair of Manolo Blahniks. Is it worth it? Do recruiters even notice if you are wearing designer shoes? Do they care?

And with regard to hair: I have been considering cutting my extremely long locks back to my shoulders in an a-line bob (the most flattering cut for me). Presently, I wear my hair pulled back in a bun. Which would be a more professional look for a tax job? Should I stick with the librarian look, or venture out for the stylish and hip a-line bob?

Am I too worried about being judged on my looks over my merit? Should I consider that my resume looks far stronger than most 1Ls, or is it really style over substance when it comes to getting that first job?

I suppose I'll have to worry about this when and if I ever get called for an interview. Keeping my fingers crossed, it will be soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home